Tuesday, April 19, 2011

And We Have Progress... sorta!

Welllll, Mr. Sir Herkimer escaped his kennel today and pooped on the bed... AGAIN, today! Argh!

He did however, almost make up for it in obedience class tonight -- it would have taken him walking on water to actually make up for the poop on the bed ;).  We've been practicing the heel (foos) all week and making splendid progress, so tonight Aja showed me the next step which instead of leading Herk into the proper position with a treat, you get him to sit(sitz) directly in front of you and step into him, making him move around into Foos position.  Good Ol' Herk got it right away!  I even got him to do the little butt flip thing that Aja's dog does -- a few times... I was sooooo excited.  He excelled at the extended stay during a sitz and down (plotz).  And did really well while I greeted a person (Aja of course), while Herkimer remained in the Foos position.  The second round she pet him and the third she touched his ears and feet - all the while him maintaining the Foos position.  WOO HOO!!  I was so proud.

There was even a smidgeon of progress on his, ahem... doggie eating behavior... when we arrived, I verbally warned the other couple to gather their dog and as soon as Herkimer put his head into the room he started to alert and bark.  I immediately put him in a Plotz and rolled him over into a neutral, submissive side position - held him for a second or two and then we were able to make a large loop around the other dog with Herkimer focusing on me (most of the time!).  And during the class loose leash work, he was simply in a Plotz or I had him with his back to the crowd and looking at me the whole time.  That was pretty impressive.  Aja still had to walk him out after class, but it was easier for her to get him under control this time.  I really can NOT believe how much progress we have made in 2 group lessons.  Amazing!!

All of the dogs have made amazing progress - Herkimer is not the only smart one~  just the most handsome (in my opinion).

Herkimer and the cats are still having issues... I borrowed an E-Collar from a friend and Aja gave me some instructions, Herkimer picked up the process very quickly - we are not anywhere near corrected yet, but every bit helps.  Although I think I'd prefer to put the E-Collar on the one cat as he really is instigating the trouble.  He sashays his butt across the front yard, just out of Herkimer's reach and I then can't get Herk to focus on the potty business.  UGH!  Dexter (the cat) will also jump over the gate and then back over the gate -- like a ping-pong ball.  Bleepidy, Bleeping Cats!  Grrrrrrrrrr...

Okay, dinner is on the table... so gotta go! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment