Tuesday, April 12, 2011

First Obedience Class

Wellll.... Sir Herkimer, was more like a poo-poo head Herkimer when greeting the other dogs tonight.  He growled and lunged and just made a situation!  ACK!  What happened to that sweet pup that Greta played with and happily met a few friends dogs????  Apparently, he has settled in and decided he is not sure about other dogs anymore.  Good Grief!

BUT, that is okey dokey - isn't that what lessons are for???  Other then walking in and passing the other dogs, Herkimer worked beautifully.  We practiced our sit (sitz), down (plotz), come (heir), look - and he did wonderfully, even with the distraction of the other dogs!  But during the walking on loose leashes, Aja had Herkimer in a plotz/stay and I held his leash with my foot and grabbed his scruff whenever he tried to alert to the other dogs when they came near.  Practice and patience...  We are learning heel (foos), which is actually more of a getting into position command first -- unfortunately it also takes.. um... coordination.  Something I'm not sure I ever had...  But despite the obstacles Herkimer had to overcome with my lack of grace, he did pretty good.  His worst command is look, and you need that one for Foos - so that will occupy most of our homework practice this week.

I had borrowed a ramp to get Herkimer into my truck, as he doesn't like getting into the car - and he is FAR to heavy to pick-up.  But he will climb the ramp just fine, which my back appreciates!  After class he went outside and jumped right on in the back.  Not one ounce of hesitation -- hmmm... was he done with obedience class??  I'm thinking so!

He is currently laying under the table near my feet, snoring away.  I think we wore him out!  YEAH

Oh, and here is a picture of Sir Herkimer - with his ears UP...


Such a handsome devil... and yes he will grow into those ears! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment