Saturday, April 9, 2011

It's Been an Interesting Week

It started with a kennel escape... a HUGE poop on the bed and Herkimer hanging out in the son's bedroom, after I'm sure he scared the bejesus out of the cats!  What a mess!  Then he managed to slide the tray of the kennel out of the bottom - AFTER he pooped in it! Oh, poop everywhere...  My son had to take him out and hose him down ~~ peew, and I spent an entire day scrubbing and mopping floors.  Aren't dogs fun??

I was obviously thrilled that his obedience classes started this week, until I learned that the first week is orientation... without dogs!  Oh well, we had fun talking about him anyway.

He has actually learned wait and is getting pretty good at it.  I asked the trainer how important the sit and down positioning really is... does he have to sit perfectly erect and lay down with his legs back -- 'cause Herkimer is a more casual guy.  He sits beautifully (but lopsided), and his down (or plotz) is fantastic - but it's probably more a plops.  :)  He does know drop it and leave it; and as directed at him when he is fixating on the cats ~ he will turn around - but then go right back to the stare down.  Herk currently has a big lump on his right cheek from one cat (it's been cleaned and dressed), but that has not slowed his obsessive desire to chase them.  He doesn't do anything when he catches them, but bark and get wholloped by them.  Who knows what goes on in their heads.

He made a big hit at the vet this week.  We had a general check up and meet the vet visit - which turned up a UTI, so I'm glad I went.  Anyway, everyone just adored him and was amazed at his size and calmness.  He has turned into a noble looking handsome devil now that his ears have decided to stand straight up.  You may now call him... Sir Herkimer, if you please.  The general consensus is he is Shepherd/Dane mix.  (although, a few votes for Mastif) - either way...BIG and beautiful.

He is currently laying at my feet trying to sleep, but he has rested his head on a new squeeky toy snake and every time he starts to drift off totally, he presses the squeeker and wakes himself up.  I'm curious to see how long it takes him to move his head off the toy -- it's been 20 minutes at least.  Such a goof!!

I have to upload updated pictures, I thought I already did - but I can't find them...  I wonder what it's like to be organized ?!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment