Wednesday, September 1, 2010

And so it begins....

I want to personally thank all my fellow Scouters for the information that I have been recieving since my e-mail.  I decided to start a blog in order to more easily keep those interested updated on my progress and have a central location for feedback, suggestions, etc.

Pretty much I have two options with moving forward on getting a mobility/service dog.  There is an organization in Laurel called Fido's for Freedom that was recommended to me by at least three friends and was even contacted by someone who volunteers at this facility.  The other option is buying a dog that has received extensive obedience training and some specific needs training, and then working with a local trainer to complete the process.

My first stop is with the Fido's for Freedom, which I already have an appointment with to visit the facility and talk with Client Services - this will happen today after work.  If I get selected, it is a very extensive program involving many hours of training and working with various dogs before getting paired with a dog, then comes even more extensive training. The only concern with this program I have is the distance, but I'll see how that goes today.  This seems like a wonderful process as I would work with various dogs before being matched with one -- significantly increasing the chances of a successful match.  While the stated costs of this option is sooo much less than option 2, there is still time, travel (gas) to be figured into the equation.  But with all the fundraising suggestions and volunteers for assistance, I am sure any financial burden will be lessened.

I am also still persuing the option of purchasing a dog trained in strict obedience with public social skills.  Additionally the dog would have preliminary work done on 'tasks' he would need to be required to do in order to meet my needs.  While the dog is trained in another location and I wouldn't meet the dog until the initial training is completed- they do guarantee a match, so that if within the first year of training with me the dog and I are not compatable, they will replace the dog with another.

Either way - it's lots of training and a huge committment on my part.  Which I am so completely excited to agree to -- if I can remove some of barriers to getting out and doing what used to come so easily, I'm going to give it everything I have!!

Again, I am so thankful for the wonderful support you guys/gals have shown when I sent out my appeal.  Not that I'm surprised, that's why I thought of all of you first -- it is still heartwarming to feel the love when you need it.

I'll keep this blog updated regularly as it will be much easier to communicate to such a group this way rather than personal/group e-mails!

I love you all!!!!

YIS
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment