Saturday, September 11, 2010

Informational Update

I went down to the Fido's for Freedom facility this morning to watch another training session and pick up an application.  Today's session was much more encouraging and interesting.  There were about 12 dogs working this morning, and maybe 7 or so clients.  I was able to see the various stages of training the different dogs had achieved and learned quite a bit about the process the dogs, trainers and clients go through to complete the program.

During the training session, the facilitator will place distractions (such as donuts, treats and dog toys) on the floor to help teach the handlers to discourage the dog to go for such distractions and the dogs to learn to ignore them... most of the time!!  The first donut disappeared within seconds after the first pass by a beautiful smooth collie.  I don't think any of the donuts made it through the entire training, but the chips and dog toys were pretty much left alone.  Actually, one of the handlers amused us all while the facilitator was waving a donut at dog-nose level and she (the handler) bent down and took a bite herself!

There is a strong 'family' feel about the way Fido's for Freedom works with both the dogs and the clients.  This explains the length of time it takes to move through the stages of training and into getting matched with a dog.  It is not something that should be done in haste and the volunteers at Fido's make the work enjoyable.

If I get accepted into the program I will definitely enjoy working with this group!  I thank those that pointed me toward this facility!!

Now I just need to get the medical papers completed and submitted by my physicians, the letters of reference and then keep my fingers crossed that I'm eligible for the program.

I really appreciate all the support I've received from everyone!!  HUGS!

No comments:

Post a Comment