Sunday, September 19, 2010

New Options

I received some wonderfully interesting new options this weekend.  A friend spotted a sign for Divine K-9, and an open house they were holding in Forest Hill, MD that included rescue groups, training, groomers, etc.  Hubby dropped me off on Saturday so I could spend some time looking around and talking to people.

It was actually a small affair, with one dog rescue represented and services linked directly to Divine K-9 - however it turned out to be an amazingly insightful afternoon.

GRREAT (Golden Retriever Rescue, Education and Training, Inc.) was the rescue group in attendance.  They gave me some promising information about their rescue group and the possibility of finding an appropriate dog through their program.

I also met a trainer that I'm very excited to work with if I find an appropriate dog for adoption.  She trains dogs for competition, including obedience competition.  Aja gave us a wonderful demonstration with her one dog - he was amazing.  We chatted for a long time and she is very positive about finding an appropriate dog in a local rescue (she also recommended Mid Atlantic German Shepherd Rescue).  Aja has offered to meet with any dog that I find in order to access his/her potential to meet my needs - she also gives discounts to dogs that come from a rescue group! :)

The cost of adopting a dog from a Rescue Group and working with Fido's for Freedom is approximately the same, the additional cost would come with the direct one on one training - but I wouldn't have that long drive to Laurel weekly.  So it's a toss-up.

For both the Fido's for Freedom application and the Rescue Groups applications I need to locate veterinary records.  That could very well be my downfall for any of these avenues as for the last 5+ years I have used a mobile vet service that has unfortunately gone out of business (due to major family illness with the vet).  It's hard to prove appropriate vet care for all my previous/current animals and that is a requirement.  I do have some avenues that I am going to pursue and plan on getting applications into all these organizations as soon as possible.

I am obtaining all the medical information needed for Fido's for Freedom and hope to have the application process to them within a month.  Meanwhile, I will apply and look at the various rescue groups and see what comes my way -- with all those feelers out, I will be able to find the opportunity that I am meant to follow.  (As opposed to decide I want to do XYZ and find out later it might not be right).

The only fundraising I am doing at this point is collecting cell phones and ink cartridges.  Thank you to those who have already given me a nice supply -- Please keep them coming!  I have even managed to get some promises from a local Verizon store to help out with the cell phone donations!

Regardless of whether or not I utilize Fido's for Freedom - they will receive all excess funds earned for this project.  And from the looks of things, that may be most of the money raised as we may be able to take care of much of it, since there are no large, one time outputs of monies.

As always - thanks for the support, ideas and love that keeps coming my way!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment